The lifespan of an extension cord may be shorter than you think. Many individuals have had their same extension cords for years that we keep in storage and re-use however, old worn down extension cords can be a dangerous shock or fire hazard. Extension cords become damaged from physical abuse and overheating from having high wattage products plugged into the cord. There are some signs that will help you decide if it’s time to ditch the extension cords you have been hanging onto and check out ROYAL LAMPSHADES for some new ones.
It is time to replace an extension cord when you notice:
- The insulation is cracked. The insulation is a protective covering, and if you notice any cuts that expose the wire you should throw it out and get replacements.The cord is hot to the touch. This means the cord is being overloaded. It is at capacity and overheating. So, it could be time for a new cord.
- The cord is hot to the touch. This means the cord is being overloaded. It is at capacity and overheating. So, it could be time for a new cord.
- The cord does not have the right electrical rating for the job. You might be plugging a high wattage appliance into an extension cord that can’t handle it. It is best to talk to a store associate or specialist to be sure you are making the appropriate connections.
- The cord is missing safety features or safety certifications. Extension cords should have a large face that covers the outlet’ slots and is easy to plug and unplug. All extension cords should be UL certified. If there is no certification it could be counterfeit. This can be dangerous because it might not have the appropriate amount of wiring.
To prolong the life of your new ROYAL LAMPSHADES extension cords unplug them when not in use, keep them out from under carpet and furniture, and out of high foot traffic areas. When unplugging your extension cords be sure not to yank the cord from the wall. This action will cause the extension cord to loosen. Also, when a cord is too short, never plug another extension cord in to add length. This causes your chords to ware out twice as fast so be sure to find a cord that is the right length. Finally, never use your indoor cords outdoors. By following these guidelines your extension cords will last longer and will help prevent fire and shock dangers.